"Words are not given to a man to conceal his thoughts" -Jose Saramago

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Cant think of a title for this one.....

My life so far can be divided into 2 major segments...the first when I was a kid.....made a hell of a lot of mischief, troubled everyone I met...and the second when I became a little older and had to(still do) have to hear about it from everybody who knew me during the first part!!!....yeah for those of you who have only known me only for a few yrs..well apparently I was a crazy little imp when I was small!!....You just need to come for a D'Silva or a Rodrigues get-together and you'll know....It normally happens around lunch/dinner or a little after that...like any family get-together(I'm sure u must have all had this experience), now the drinks have settled down nicely in everyone's bellies...the women have finished their gossiping...the men have finished discussing sports...and then its time for the elders to discuss who would be next in line to get married!!!...and since I've shown no promise in that area so far....they begin to dig into my notorious past!!!....somebody just has to drop the idea of a 3-4 yr old Riaan and then it begins..."My God...I remember him running after his Aunt Judy's wedding cake!!!"..."Remember the time he told his KG teacher that he could see her panty...???" and "Oh..My..how he troubled the air hostess on the plane!!!"...sheeeesh!!!.....It is at this point that I make quiet getaway if possible to another part of the house...any outsider hearing all this for the first time would wonder whether I was sent to boot camp to change into the person I am today!!....but quite frankly I think coming to India had something to do with it..what exactly.. I do not know ..but the changeover began when we moved here....every experience teaches you something...I remember the TCS ILP as one example...that was the first time that I was away from home for a considerable time....I remember being in awe of everyone there...they were all so focussed on their careers...In this respect, I on the other hand was more like a drunken fool wandering through a forest and getting smacked on the forehead by branches and bumping into tree trunks every now and then....people saw a different side of me there.....just read by scrapbook and you'll understand....even I found out things that I didnt know about myself....for one I never knew how exhilarating it could be to sit in the front of the rickshaw next to the driver and poke your head out like a canine...I didnt know that I had an interest in photography until I met machcha...didnt know that literature could be interesting until I met Niraj....and I never knew I was so shameless so as to simultaneously drink banana juice and dance on one leg to the tune of "Hail banana..." sung by my friends at the local juice center while the locals(in bubaneswar) in at the center looked on wondering what to make of the whole show(It was the second last day of ILP and everyone thought that I was dead drunk with the celebrations..).....Yes I know It may seem that I'm gettin all nostalgic about my ILP...just trying to cite an example though....I await the next experience that will change my life and my personality!!!

6 comments:

Sumo said...

Man, u seem to have had a whale of a time as a kid. But, I guess this reminiscing about our kiddie years by the grown ups will always go on. I am still told by everyone I meet at any gathering that I used to call the "Akra Lakh Lottery" (Eleven Lakhs Lottery) the "Akhkha Naak Lottery" (Full Nose Lottery). Now, imagine wat would be our condition if such moments were to be recalled in front of our wives in the future?

Now, as I am writing this, I feel inspired to write my own post abt this. Do read it.

PS : U told ur KG teacher that u cud see her panty??? OMG!!! ROTFL!!!!!!!!!

Everyman said...

Lol!!! You were a very forthright kindergarten student if u told ur teacher that..but i wonder..if u COULD actually see what u wrote u saw, then i wonder how exactly she had 'positioned' herself..hmmm...

And where were u before u came to india???

Riaan Roving said...

@Sumo
Not too concerned with the wife thing...concerned with what my kids will be like!!!

@Shainu
Well..I did see it..I was misbehaving in class and she put me under her desk as a punishment...that was pretty much the only thing I cud see!!!
I was in Muscat for 7 yrs..

Sumo said...

Well, looking at u, u didnt turn out too badly urself!!! So, i dont see ne reason why ur kids shud b a problem!!!

Firebringer said...

ever met ur KG teacher after that?
What was her reaction to that comment?
How red was your bottom after that incident?

Riaan Roving said...

@Brat..
no not met her after that...
her reaction..errr....obviously stunned at first..but then the complaint as usual went to my mum as she was workin in the same school.....